The information in this article is the intellectual property of xMatters and is intended only for use with xMatters products by xMatters customers and their employees. Further, this intellectual property is proprietary and must not be reused or resold.
Atlassian had decided to discontinue their Stride application as of February, 2019, in favour of Slack. We've left this article to provide support to our users who currently have a Stride integration up and running. However, if you're interested in implementing a new chat integration, check out our Slack integration.
This article provides installation, configuration, and implementation details for integrating xMatters On-Demand with Stride.
Stride is a cloud-based team business communication and collaboration tool. Coupled with xMatters, this integration lets you:
- Look up who's on-call
- Send notifications to a user or group
- Invite an xMatters user or group to a room
This integration uses an xMatters app installed into your Stride account to pass information to an inbound integration. After configuring the integration in Stride, click the (x) in the sidebar to target an xMatters user or group and invite them to the room.
Before you get started configuring the integration, there are some things you can do ahead of time to make it easier.
Download the communication plan attached to this article to a location on your local machine. The communication plan contains pre-configured integrations, forms, properties, and messages specifically designed for Stride.
Do NOT extract the contents of the communication plan .zip file! You'll import it directly into xMatters.
Configure xMatters On-Demand
The first steps in setting up your integration are to configure xMatters and copy information from xMatters that you'll need to set up Stride.
This integration requires a user who can authenticate REST web service calls when working with events – these permissions are provided by the "REST Web Service User" role in xMatters.
For Free and Trial customers, your system has an "Integration User" already configured with the REST Web Service User role, so you don't need to burn up an extra user from your limited supply. Make sure you've changed this user's password from the default, then you're good to go.
For everyone else, we recommend you create a user specifically for this integration because this user appears as the initiator or submitter of events from the integration (in messages, the Communication Center, event reports, etc.). Give this user the "REST Web Service User" role and a profile that lets you easily identify the user as specific to the integration – for example:
- User ID: stride
- First name: Stride
- Last name: Integration
Note: Make sure you keep the user ID and password of this user handy. You'll need them when configuring other parts of this integration.
The integration invites xMatters users or groups to a Stride Room. Make sure you've defined in xMatters the users and groups you'll want to invite. For information on creating users and groups, see the xMatters On-Demand help.
The next step is to import the communication plan.
To import the communication plan:
- In xMatters, click the Developer tab, select Communications Plans and then click Import Plan.
- Click Choose File, and then locate the plan you downloaded from this article (the .zip file).
- Click Import Plan.
- Once the import is finished, the plan should be automatically enabled. If it isn't, click Plan Disabled to enable the plan.
You need to configure the authentication for the inbound integration then copy the URLs to paste into Stride.
To configure an inbound integration:
- In the Integration Builder, expand the list of inbound integrations.
- Click the name of the integration to view its details.
- Scroll down to How to trigger the integration at the bottom of the page, and select the integration user as the authenticating user (make sure the authentication method is set to URL authentication). The URL trigger is updated to reflect the new user.
- To be able to select the integration user, you need to be a supervisor of that user and the user needs to be assigned to the REST Web Services role.
- Click Copy beside the Trigger field:
To configure Stride to integrate with xMatters, you need to:
- Install the xMatters app into your Stride instance.
- Configure the integration.
Install the Stride xMatters app
You can now install the xMatters app in your Stride instance, and use the values you copied above for the Hostname and "Invite People inbound integration URL" fields.
To install the Stride xMatters app:
- Log into Stride, click the Apps icon in the sidebar, and then click the plus sign (+) to add a new app.
- Click Add custom app to launch the Custom app dialog.
- Select the Installation URL tab and copy and paste our installation URL into the field:
- Specify the room where you want to add the app, and then click Add to Conversation.
The xMatters Integration requires permission to access some of your Stride information so it can send invitations on your behalf. By clicking Add to Conversation, you give the xMatters integration this access.
- In the xMatters Configuration dialog box, fill in all required fields:
- Hostname: the domain of your xMatters instance (for example, acme.xmatters.com).
- The Username and Password of the integration user mentioned above.
- The Invite People inbound integration URL you copied when you configured the inbound integration (ensure you've updated it to URL Authentication before copying).
- Click Save.
- To add the app in another Stride room, repeat steps 1-6 for that room.
And that's it! Your integration should be ready to go.
When inviting people to join a room or meeting in Stride, the integration uses the permissions of the integration user to determine which users and groups you can invite. By default, the REST Web Service User role has permission to invite all other roles in the system so you should be able to invite any xMatters user to a room.
Before you can invite a group, however, you'll need to make sure that the REST Web Service User role is included in the list of group observers for any group that you might want to invite.
To invite an xMatters user or group to a room:
- In Stride, open the room you want to invite people to (make sure that the xMatters Integration has been added to that room).
- Click the (x) in the Stride sidebar.
- In the xMatters dialog box, select Invite People and start typing to find the names of users or groups in xMatters that you want to join the room.
- Select Invite to Meeting: If enabled, users are invited directly to the room's Stride Meeting video conference. Otherwise, users are redirected to the room page.
- Enter a message to tell people why you're inviting them and click Send Invite.
xMatters contacts the specified users on their preferred devices and prompts them to join your room.
To look up who's on call:
- In Stride, open the room where you want to post the on-call information (make sure that the xMatters Integration has been added to that room).
- Click the (x) in the Stride sidebar.
- In the xMatters dialog box, select Who's On Call and type the name of the xMatters group that you want to find the on-call information for.
- You can see the first few entries in the on-call list displayed in the dialog box.
- Click Post to Room to post that information to the room.