This article identifies and explains some issues involved with upgrading to or installing the xMatters relevance engine 4.1, and includes special instructions for SQL Server 2008.
Before upgrading to or installing xMatters 4.1, review the updated system requirements and related information in the “Installing xMatters” chapter of the installation and administration guide (downloadable at xMatters 4.x installation and administration guide). In particular, note that changes have been made to system requirements for databases, operating systems, modems, fronting servers, web browsers, and SIP gateways.
Note: If you are upgrading from 3.2.1, refer to the KBA, Why does my upgrade fail due to a foreign key constraint violation? For information specific to version 3.2.1.
Microsoft® SQL Server®
For SQL Server users, xMatters 4.1 requires SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 Express (which is included in the xMatters 4.1 installer). However, the web-based installation of SQL Server 2008 provided by Microsoft does not support an upgrade from SQL Server 2005.
SQL Server 2008 also requires Windows Installer 4.5 and the Microsoft .NET Framework version 2, Service Pack 2. The following instructions describe how to upgrade your SQL Server 2005 instance to SQL Server 2008 for use with xMatters 4.1.To upgrade your SQL Server 2005 database:
- Install Windows Installer 4.5, available on the xMatters installation DVD or directly from Microsoft.com.
- You may be prompted for a system restart when the installation is finished; you do not need to restart the system at this point.
- Install the Microsoft .NET Framework version 2 Service Pack 2, available on the xMatters installation DVD or directly from Microsoft.com.
- Note that Microsoft .NET Framework version 2 Service Pack 2 is required by the Microsoft installer for SQL Server 2008; if you have already installed the .NET Framework 3.5, you must still install version 2 SP 2.
- Restart your system.
- Do one of the following, based on your version of SQL Server:
- If you are upgrading SQL Server 2005, install SQL Server 2008 using the installation discs or the downloaded installer available from Microsoft.com. Do not attempt to use the web-based installation tool.
- If you are upgrading SQL Server 2005 Express, run the SQL Server 2008 Express installer (SQLEXPR.EXE) included on the xMatters 4.1 DVD (or in the downloaded xMatters 4.1 installer package) in the ap410-Windows-Win32\Windows-Win32\components or xm410-Windows-Win64\Windows-Win64\components directory.
Oracle®For Oracle users, xMatters 4.1 requires Oracle 11g Release 2. A number of upgrade options are detailed on the Oracle web site at http://download.oracle.com. xMatters recommends the “Export and Import utilities” upgrade method.
Supported Product Changes
The following products are no longer supported in xMatters 4.1:
- Microsoft® Windows 2000 Server
- Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 5.1
- HP-UX® 11.11
- WebSphere® 6.1
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (and Express)
- Apache 220.127.116.11
- Mozilla® Firefox® 2
Support has been added to xMatters 4.1 for the following products:
- AIX 6.1
- Red Hat Linux Enterprise 5.2
- HPUX 11.31
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (and Express)
- Apache 2.2.3-31
- Mozilla Firefox 3
Note: Support for WebSphere 7.0 will be added shortly in a maintenance release.
The following Dialogic cards have been tested on and are supported by xMatters 4.1:
Although other Dialogic cards may function correctly, they have not been tested on xMatters 4.1.
DTN-2198 JDN-1208 Originally created by Don Clark