This article provides troubleshooting tips for resolving issues that may arise when, after installing or upgrading xMatters, the Phone Device Engine fails to start.
Issue One Details
When the Phone Device engine fails to start, Voice notifications cannot be processed. This occurs because configuration of the Phone Device Engine does not complete as expected during the installation procedure.
- Phone Device Engine fails to start with error as seen in AlarmPoint.txt log file:
<timestamp> [AlarmPoint Node-main] ERROR - Phone line 1: Failed to initialize line wrapper. com.invoqsystems.apex.exceptions.AlarmPointInvalidArgumentException: <message>Failed to read the topaz profile file. java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\AlarmPointSystems\AlarmPoint\node\phone-engine\Datastore\VoiceConfiguration\ProfileConfig.txt (The system cannot find the file specified)</message>
<timestamp> [AlarmPoint Node-main] ERROR - No device engine resource available
- The Phone Device Engine is displayed with a state of 'stopped' in the web user interface. Attempting to start it results in error as described above. The engine returns to a state of stopped after failing to start.
To resolve this issue:
- Stop the xMatters server that hosts the Phone Device Engine.
- Once the node is fully stopped, run Start>Program Files>AlarmPoint Systems>AlarmPoint>Scan Voice Resources.
- Once the Voice Resource Scan completes successfully, restart the computer.
- Once the machine has booted and the node has started, use the web user interface to start the Phone Device Engine.
Issue Two Details
The Scan Voice Resource utility (APVoiceUtility) fails which in turn causes the Phone Engine to fail to start.
The ProfileConfig.log shows that an error occurred while scanning for NuTTS text to speech resource. The log message is similar to the following example:
** Start scan for NuTTS technology
Created 12/29/2006 12:28
@O JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs(0x00412878, 0x1, 0x0012F324), *plNumJVMs=1751344500 ON ENTRY
@D JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs(0x00412878, 0x1, 0x0012F324)=0, *plNumJVMs=0
AD Resource Manager error:STL:CScanMgr::Scan, for_each (168010 ScanMgr.cpp:348)
As indicated in the error message, there is a conflict with an older version of the Java Virtual Machine.
To resolve this issue:
- Remove any reference in the Windows %PATH% variable to Java Virtual Machines.
- Exclude the NuTTS from supported technologies:
- Locate the <xMHOME>\node\phone-engine\Datastore\VoiceConfiguration\CTADE.inifile.
- In the [ProfileExcludeTechnologies] section add NuTTS to the list of excluded technologies as illustrated by the following example:
- Using the Task Manager ensure that ProfileConfig.exe is not running.
- Run the Scan Voice Resources utility.
JDN-1286 Originally created by Don Clark