The Text-to-Speech feature is speaking too quickly; how do I change the TTS rate?
The following instructions apply to the Microsoft SAPI and TTS engine installed by default with xMatters.
The Microsoft TTS engine is tied to the account under which it is running. When using the Speech applet in the Control Panel to change how quickly the voice speaks, it only applies to individual users, not the service account. Because the xMatters Node runs as a service, changes to the TTS rate using the Speech applet do not take effect if left to run in the Local System account.
To configure the TTS speech rate when running the Node as a service:
- If the Node is running, stop it using the Services applet.
- Log in using an account that has local administrator privileges.
- If xMatters was not installed using this account, run the SAPI_5_1_English.exe install file.
- Using the Services applet, right-click AlarmPoint Node and select Properties.
- Click the Log On tab, and then click the This Account radio button.
- In the pop-up dialog box, click Browse, and then click the Look in drop-down list and select the local machine name.
- In the pane, select your login account and click OK.
- Enter the password and click Apply to verify the entries.
- Click OK to complete the setup.
- If you have not already done so, log in using the account specified.
- From the Windows Control Panel, launch the Speech applet.
- On the Text to Speech tab, adjust the Voice Speed setting.
- Click OK.
- Restart the Node using the Services applet.
JDN-1097 Originally created by Don Clark