The information in this article is the intellectual property of xMatters and is intended only for use with xMatters products by xMatters customers and their employees. Further, this intellectual property is proprietary and must not be reused or resold.
This article provides installation, configuration, and implementation details for integrating Salesforce with xMatters. The integration focuses specifically on automating notifications to Sales when a New Lead is created in Salesforce.
This integration is built using Zapier. When New Leads are created and their Rating (lead score) is set to Hot in Salesforce, lead details are sent to the xMatters communication plan via Zapier using REST / JSON. Subscriptions allow sales reps to subscribe to leads based on geography, territory, industry, etc.
The Value: This integration is meant to accelerate the notification of Sales Departments of incoming "Hot Leads", thereby driving engagement and accelerating the deal process.
Integration created and supplied by Jessie DeCarlos
Creating your own integration
This article explains how the included sample communication plan and a few simple steps in Zapier can integrate xMatters On-Demand with Salesforce. This is just a sample workflow illustrating how xMatters can integrate with another product - you can use this as a starting point to create your own integrations between xMatters and Salesforce. If you do, we'd love to see it! Feel free to share your experiences either in a comment below this article, or in the xMatters Community.
Before you start...
You will need some things before you start:
- An account and login information for Zapier
- An account and login information for Salesforce.com
- Access to your xMatters deployment, and the ability to create communication plans
Before configuring anything in Zapier, you'll need to first configure xMatters.
This integration requires a user who can authenticate REST web service calls when injecting events.
This user needs to be able to work with events, but does not need to update administrative settings. While you can use the default Company Supervisor role to authenticate REST web service calls, the best method is to create a user specifically for this integration with the "REST Web Service User" role that includes the required permissions and capabilities.
Note: If you are installing this integration into an xMatters trial instance, you don't need to create a new user. Instead, locate the "Integration User" sample user that was automatically configured with the REST Web Service User role when your instance was created and assign them a new password. You can then skip ahead to the next section.
To create an integration user:
- Log in to the target xMatters system.
- On the Users tab, click the Add New User icon.
- Enter the appropriate information for your new user.
- Assign the user to the REST Web Service User role.
- Click Save.
- On the next page, set the web login ID and password.
Make a note of these details; you will need them when configuring the Zapier side of the integration.
The next step is to import the communication plan.
To import the xMatters communication plan:
- Download the attached .zip file to your system.
- In the target xMatters system, on the Developer tab, click Import Plan.
- Click Browse, and then locate the downloaded file.
- Click Import Plan.
- Once the communication planhas been imported, click Plan Disabled to enable the plan.
- In the Edit drop-down list, select Forms.
- For the Integration - Salesforce CRM form, in the Not Deployed drop-down list, click Create Event Web Service.
- After you create the web service, the drop-down list label will change to Web Service Only.
- In the Web Service Only drop-down list, click Permissions.
- The Access Web Service URL option appears twice in the drop-down menu. Ensure that you click the first option, just below Create Event Web Service.
- You'll need these URLs when you configure Zapier.
Notifications in this integration are based on subscriptions. Sales reps can subscribe to only those leads that matter to them, based on city, state, industry, or even zip code. The imported communication plan includes a sample subscription form, "New Hot Lead".
- For information about subscriptions in xMatters On-Demand, see Subscriptions.
Now that you've configured xMatters, it's time to configure Zapier to integrate Salesforce.
- Login to Zapier. Once logged in, click Make a New Zap.
- In Step 1: Choose a trigger and action:
- In the "When this Happens" area, select Salesforce as the trigger. For the action, select New Case.
- In the "Do This" area, select xMatters as the trigger. For the action, select Create Event.
- In Step 2: Select a Salesforce account, you will need to log in to Salesforce and Grant Access to Zapier. Then click Continue.
- In Step 3: Select a xMatters account, you will need to log in to your xMatters' instance using the integration User you created earlier. Then click Continue.
- In Step 4: Filter Salesforce triggers, under Custom Filters, click Add Filter:
- In the Field drop-down list, select Rating with the Condition of (Text) Contains.
- Finally, type Hot for the Value.
- In Step 5: Match up Salesforce Lead to xMatters Event, copy the web service URL from the New Lead form from the Salesforce Engine you imported earlier.
- Add the properties listed in the table below in the first column, and then click + and Insert Field to insert the corresponding Salesforce field.
- In Step 6: Test this Zap, click Test Salesforce trigger.
- In Step 7: Name and turn this Zap on, name the Zap (e.g., "Salesforce - New Case").
|Product Interest||Annual Revenue|
|Employees||Number of Locations|
To test the integration:
- In xMatters, make sure you have created a subscription to the New Lead form.
- Create a new lead in Salesforce.
- Set the Rating to Hot. (You may have a different property or variable to designate rating.)
- Go to Zapier, go to the Zap you just created and click the drop-down for that Zap and click Run.
- If you appropriately set up your xMatters Subscription to correspond with the correct properties, you should receive the notification.
|xMatters Salesforce Communication Plan Package - zip||Download|
|Video Demo of the integration at work.||Download|