The information in this article is the intellectual property of xMatters and is intended only for use with xMatters products by xMatters customers and their employees. Further, this intellectual property is proprietary and must not be reused or resold.
xMatters has been working with our friends at New Relic to integrate with their alerting functionality. The collaboration has allowed us to create a new integration that greatly improves the experience and functionality of adding xMatters multi-channel notifications to New Relic.
You can install a "built-in" version of this integration using the Integration Directory (Developer tab > Integrations). Built-in integrations are pre-configured for your xMatters: you don't need to download and import the communication plan, or follow the directions to configure xMatters as described below.
To configure this integration using the Integration Directory, see our online integration guide for New Relic here.
To continue setting up this packaged integration, use the following steps.
To begin, download the communication plan attached to this article; it contains everything needed for this integration. You do NOT need to extract the contents.
The first step in setting up your integration is to configure xMatters.
This integration requires a user who can authenticate REST web service calls when injecting events.
This user needs to be able to work with events, but does not need to update administrative settings. While you can use the default Company Supervisor role to authenticate REST web service calls, the best method is to create a user specifically for this integration with the "REST Web Service User" role that includes the required permissions and capabilities.
Note: If you are installing this integration into an xMatters trial instance, you don't need to create a new user. Instead, locate the "Integration User" sample user that was automatically configured with the REST Web Service User role when your instance was created and assign them a new password. You can then skip ahead to the next section.
To create an integration user:
- Log in to the target xMatters system.
- On the Users tab, click Add.
- Enter the appropriate information for your new user. Because this user affects how messages appear for recipients and how events are displayed in the reports and Communication Center, you may want to identify the user as specific to New Relic; for example:
- First Name: NewRelic
- Last Name: Integration
- User ID: newrelic
- Assign the user to the REST Web Service User role.
- Depending on your deployment, you might need to add one of the following roles so you can log in as the integration user and access the Developer tab: Full Access User, Developer or Limited Developer.
- Make a note of the user credentials and details – you need them when configuring other parts of this integration.
- Click Add.
The next step is to import the communication plan into xMatters.
To import and configure your communication plan:
- In the target xMatters system, click Import Plan from the Developer tab.
- Click Choose File, and then locate the downloaded communication plan (.zip file).
- Click Import Plan.
- Click the Edit drop-down list for the plan, and select Access Permissions.
- Add the integration user you created above, and then click Save Changes.
- In the Edit drop-down list, select Forms.
- For the New Incident form, in the Web Service drop-down list, click Sender Permissions.
- Enter the integration user you created above, and then click Save Changes.
- Beside the New Incident form, click Edit and select Layout.
- In the Recipients section, add the recipients that you want to receive notifications whenever a New Relic alert policy invokes this notification channel:
- Click Save Changes.
You need to retrieve the URL of the inbound integration to configure New Relic. (The following steps assume that you are using the URL Authentication option, which is the default setting for this communication plan. For more information about these options, see Inbound integration service authentication.)
To configure an inbound integration and retrieve its URL:
- Log out of xMatters, and then log back in as the integration user you configured above.
- Navigate to the Integration Builder tab for the communication plan, and expand the list of inbound integrations.
- Click the name of the integration.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click Copy URL beside the field:
Once you have retrieved the URL, you can log the integration user out of xMatters.
Configure New Relic
Now that xMatters is ready to receive events, you can configure New Relic to send alerts into xMatters.
To configure New Relic:
- Log in to New Relic, and create a new notification channel with a channel type of xMatters.
- Name the new channel "xMatters", just to get started.
- You can be more specific if you create multiple channels in the future.
- Click Create Channel.
Test the integration
In New Relic, click Send Test Notification.
You should see a new event created in xMatters and a successful response in the Activity Stream: