How do I create an on-call schedule for my team or group?
- All versions of xMatters
As demonstrated in the following video and instructions, the main steps for creating an on-call schedule are:
- Create a shift: Add a shift to a new or existing group and set the shift's duration and recurrence.
- Set the shift's timeframe: Add shift members, set their contact order, and add delays between them.
Create a shift
- Click the Groups tab.
- Select an existing group or create a group.
- Click the Shifts tab.
- Click Add Shift.
- Give the shift a name and optional description.
- Select the start time and end time for the first occurrence of the shift, for example: today from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- Choose when and how often the shift should recur, for example: on weekdays.
- Click Save.
For more information about creating shifts and configuring shift timeframes, see Schedule Shifts.
Set the shift's timeline
- On the Shifts tab, select the shift.
- To add a member to the shift, start typing in the search bar (a minimum of two characters is required) and select a user, group, or dynamic team from the drop-down list. (Note: users must already exist in xMatters, so you'll need to create or add them first.)
- To arrange members in the order you want them to be contacted, drag them to a new position in in the list.
- To add a wait time between members, click the clock icon that appears on the timeline in between those members.
- Type in the number of minutes for xMatters to wait before notifying the next member in the timeline.
- Click Save Changes.
For more information about configuring the shift timeline and the different types of escalation delays, see Escalate alerts within a shift. You can also periodically change the order of members in the shift timeline, to more evenly distribute notifications; for more information, see Rotate positions within a shift.
Questions or comments?
To discuss or ask questions, please post in our Community.
Read the next article in our Getting Started series: Sending your first xMatters Message.