The information in this article is the intellectual property of xMatters and is intended only for use with xMatters products by xMatters customers and their employees. Further, this intellectual property is proprietary and must not be reused or resold.
New to xMatters? Wish someone could give you a quick run-through of how to get started so that you're ready and able to receive and respond to notifications?
Great, because that's exactly what this guide will show you! We'll walk you through the basics of logging into our web application and mobile app, lead you through setting up your devices and checking your on-call schedule, and show you what to expect when getting a notification.
We'll also include additional recommendations to more in-depth documentation and resources that are available to help launch you from a newbie to an 'xPert' in no time.
There's a couple of different ways you can log into your xMatters account. To log into the xMatters web application, all you need is an internet connection and a web browser. And when you're on the go, the easiest way to stay connected is with the xMatters mobile app.
To log into the xMatters web user interface, go to your-company.xmatters.com (for example, if your organization's name is ACME Corp, its xMatters login URL would be something like acmecorp.xmatters.com).
Depending on how xMatters is configured, you'll log into xMatters using your corporate credentials or with xMatters credentials provided by your administrator.
- Sign in to xMatters - step-by-step sign in instructions, browser recommendations, and troubleshooting.
After logging into the web application, you'll want to get your devices set up so that you can receive notifications from xMatters.
Set up your devices:
- Click your name in the upper-right corner and select Devices.
- Click Add Device and select the type of device you want to add.
- Enter your device's contact information and then send yourself a test message to make sure you've configured it correctly.
- Once you've successfully added your devices to xMatters, you can set delays and timeframes for when you're available to receive notifications on each device. For example, you may want to first receive notifications on your email and the mobile app, then after 5 mins on your mobile phone.
If your organization uses a data sync process to add device data into xMatters from another system, then you may already have some devices configured in your profile. If the contact details for any of these devices are incorrect, let your xMatters Admin know so they can update the source system. You can add additional devices to your account without affecting the data sync.
- Manage your devices - how to add and remove devices and customize how xMatters contacts you.
Once you've downloaded and installed the app on your device, there are two ways you can log in: manually using your host name, or by scanning a QR code displayed in the web user interface.
Log in using host name
- Enter your hostname. For example, if the URL you use to access the xMatters web user interface is your-company.xmatters.com, then enter "your-company".
- Tap Continue.
- Enter your username and password.
- Tap LOGIN.
- Log in with host name - instructions for manually logging into the mobile app with your host name and credentials.
Scan a QR code
- Log into the xMatters web application, go to the Devices tab in your profile, and add a "Mobile App" device.
- On the mobile app, tap Log in with QR Code.
- Scan the QR code that's displayed in the web user interface.
- Log in with QR code - detailed instructions for logging in by scanning a QR code with your mobile
You can use your schedule to check your current on-call status and your upcoming on-call schedule. The schedule includes on-call information for all of your groups and shifts.
Click your name in the upper-right corner, and then select Schedule.
You can filter the schedule to show when you're the primary on-call resource (by default, the schedule shows all of your shifts):
If you're unable to receive notifications for a period of time (such as if you're going on vacation or you're out sick), you can click Add Absence to add a temporary absence to your schedule, and optionally appoint someone else to receive notifications on your behalf while you're away:
- Using your schedule - checking your on-call schedule, filtering by escalation order, shift details, and temporary absences from your on-call duties.
- Set a temporary absence - view, add, and manage temporary absences in your schedule.
From the iOS or Android app menu, tap My Schedule.
The xMatters mobile app allows you to view your schedule in a daily or monthly calendar view. Like the web application, you can filter the schedule to display only shifts where you're primary on-call - just tap the filter icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
To set a temporary absence in your schedule from the mobile app, tap the stopwatch icon. (Note: The temporary absence feature is currently available on our iOS platform, and it's coming very soon to Android.)
After you've set up your devices and your supervisor has assigned you to one or more shifts, you can expect to receive notifications. The messages you receive on any of your configured devices will include information about the event, and it may also include options for you to respond. Response options are highly customizable, so you should read or listen to all available options before you select your response.
How to respond
- Email - Scroll to the bottom of the email to click on a response link. A dialog box may appear that allows you to add a comment with your response.
- Mobile app - Tap one of the response options. The mobile app asks if you'd like to respond now, or respond with comment. Respond with a comment if you'd like to add additional context with your chosen response.
- SMS (Text) - Reply with the number associated with your response choice.
Depending on how the shift schedule is defined, if you don't respond within a pre-configured amount of time, xMatters automatically escalates the notification to the next on-call resource in the shift.
- Receive and respond to alerts - resources for receiving and responding to alerts on different device types.
- Context-sensitive help - If you're not sure how a feature works, just click the icon in the top right corner of the screen to see help topics specific to the screen you're on.
- Subscriptions - In xMatters, you can subscribe to receive notifications that keep you informed when certain types of events occur in your system. For more information, see: